We've just picked up 20 day old chicks. Its time to up the egg production as we've been asked if we can supply 10 dozen a week of free range organic eggs. So while these girls grow up a little, we'll be building a second run and coop that will sit adjacent to the veggie patches to house the new recruits.
19 March 2012
Despite all the rain, we've still been tapping away in the patch, planting up the new one and getting patch no.5 ready. Patch No.4 is now full with rainbow chard, eggplant, garlic, potatoes, broadbean and rocket. Much of that is still in as seeds, but they are beginning to sprout. The sunflowers are done and have been feeding the chooks one head at a time.
What a fabulous workforce they are - and multi-taskers like all top performing women. Having said that, there was one Sussex who just could not find the gate, despite pacing past it urgently whilst calling out to the others... ah well. At least she's good looking....
17 March 2012
Patch no.2 where all those lovely watermelons, corn and beans have been growing is almost spent and ready for our volunteer labourers to come in and clean up, ready for some winter crops. And this is the gate they rush through on their way to get at grasshoppers, worms and other lovely things.
14 March 2012
I'm not quite sure what you call a group of rosellas, but we certainly now have one. And by the look of them, a "riot" is as good a name as any. I planted out three little seedlings last year to make a hedge between two patches and it seems to have worked. So much so that its probably time to give them a haircut.
13 March 2012
We've been growing two vines up the side of the chicken run to give them a little shade as well as give us a little fruit. After a slow start (they got watered as and when whereas the other patches are irrigated, they missed out in this spot), they have taken off with all the rain and we've even got our first little fruit. I've spotted several more since I took this photo the other day, but I thought it was still worth posting as it seems to be having an identity crisis. What do you think?
I had grand plans for my old Sydney raspberries as they were transported carefully to their new home here in Durban and having a spot chosen for them where they could be properly managed. They started to establish themselves but weren't doing anything that impressive. Since that time, my husband had decided he wanted a shed near the raspberries new home and that they would (a) get in the way when he was mowing and (b) get in the way of the grow tunnel he wanted to extend from the said shed. So he eventually convinced me to dig them all up and move them to a new home. This was easier said than done, but we did it a few weekends ago and do you know what, they are doing much better in their new spot, its is much easier to mow and they won't get in the way....well you get the idea.